[Kstars-devel] FITS mime types

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Mon Jul 25 07:48:53 CEST 2005

>There is bug #60781 asking for the FITS mime types (defined in RFC 4047).
>
>I have now added image/fits and application/fits in kdelibs, however without
>any file extensions or magic support.
>
>So I would need help from people really using FITS and I suppose that these
>people are the KStars developers.
>
>Should I simply define *.fits;*.fit;*.FIT;*.fts;*..FTS; as file pattern for
>image/fits and do not care about application/fits or is this not acceptable?
>
>Or should we only use the magic file? But how? How useful would it be for a
>magic file to check NAXIS to be 2 or 3 in the 3rd line for a image/fits? (As
>the lines have fixed length, this should be possible to do in a magic file.)

Hi,

FITS support was added to KStars long time ago, but I didn't go a step further to add it as MIME type in KDE. can I add a switch to KStars command line arguments (e.g. kstars --fits filename.fits) or it must be something like "kstars filename.fits" ?

The pattern used in KStars is: *.fits *.fit *.fts

As for NAXIS, no need to check for it, and maybe future KStars version will support NAXIS 1 or 3.

Regards,
Jasem Mutlaq