[Kstars-devel] Static version

kstars@30doradus.org kstars at 30doradus.org
Thu Aug 18 06:17:39 CEST 2005

Dynamic linking is not "insane", considering that most people will use
the KDE desktop, or at least several different KDE apps.  For these
users, static linking would be "insane", as the binaries would be huge
and largely redundant.

See here for some more discussion on the impracticality of
statically-linked KDE apps:
http://dot.kde.org/986933826/986963627/986967316/986969738/987014666/987024655/987031495/

You are asking us to provide a statically-compiled version of KStars.
Unfortunately, we do not provide binaries of any kind, only source
code.  Binaries are the responsibility of the distributors.  If you
give us specific information about what files you are missing, we can
help you compile KStars.  However, why not just install the KDE base
packages for Ubuntu, and then install the Kstars or kdeedu package?
Seriously, this is your best option.

BTW, are you sure your impressions of resource usage and speed of KDE
are not outdated?  My understanding is that we've made great strides in
this area in the 3.x series, even on old hardware...

regards,
Jason