[Kstars-devel] KStars and the Open Publication License

Ben Burton bab at debian.org
Sat Oct 16 08:05:33 CEST 2004

Hi.  I do hate to do this to you all over again, but I've had the
following bug filed against kstars for debian:

The summary is that kstars includes data under the Open Publication
License, which it turns out is not sufficiently free to be able to be
distributed in debian.  For a summary of the reasons why, see:

Fortunately the problem is limited to pictures of the moon.  From
kstars/README.images:

  Moon:     based on a photo contributed by Frank Stefani (OPL)

It seems I'm therefore going to have to pull this data out of the debian
packages.  I thus have two questions:

1. The images I plan to remove are moon00.png -> moon35.png in
kstars/kstars/data.  Is this correct, i.e., are these the images
referred to in the above statement that are under the OPL?

2. If I simply remove these pictures from /usr/share/apps/kstars/ in the
debian packages, will this break kstars?  Or will kstars simply notice
that they're missing and behave properly regardless?

Thanks again - Ben.

PS: Please preserve the CC: 266404 at bugs.debian.org if possible, so that
any comments can be logged with the bug report.