[Kstars-devel] KStars Scripts Archive

Jasem Mutlaq mutlaqja at ikarustech.com
Sat Oct 2 23:41:34 CEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Wolf" <marc at magevesa.demon.nl>
To: "Jasem Mutlaq" <mutlaqja at ikarustech.com>; "KStars Development Mailing
List" <kstars-devel at kde.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Kstars-devel] KStars Scripts Archive

> Jasem, et al.
>
> Would it not be possible to call the an INDI goto RA/Dec functions from
> the
> lookToward( arg, telescope=true ) function.

No, the interface for telescope scheduling and automation will be different.
It will have its own GUI.

> - Which INDI method is actully sending the RA/Dec coordinates to the
> telescope?

There is no INDI method per se, but the INDI Property EQUATORIAL_COORD is
the one modified when we either read or set a new coordinate.

You can check http://indi.sf.net for more details :-)

> - Where are these methods called from from the KStars classes?
>
> How does the RTML architecture looks like within KStars? Is it kind of
> middleware software between KStars and INDI or a complete new low level
> telescope interface controlled from KStars?

It will basically have two components: A scheduler daemon to queue and
execute observation jobs, and a GUI that allows you to create your custom
observation requests. For example, you can tell it to observe a specific
object only after some UT time, or when an airmass goal is reached, or when
moon illumination is below a certain level, plus many other factors. You can
synchronize the telescope and camera to scan certain regions of the sky,
change filters.. etc.

So it's a complete system on the top of INDI.

Hope that helps,
Jasem