[Kstars-devel] testing the new code

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Jun 6 19:03:33 CEST 2004

Hi Mike,

On Sunday 06 June 2004 06:22 am, Mike Rosseel wrote:
> - the CVS checkout page fails to mention the fact that, apart from
> libkdeedu/kdeeduplot, you also have to compile libkdeedu/extdate
Thatnks for pointing this out, I just added it.

> - when running it the first time I had some trouble with the 'hot new
> stuff' : it gave the following error messages :

<snip>
> KCrash: Application 'lt-kstars' crashing...

I saw that once too, but I couldn't make it happen again.  When
KSNewStuff downloads the NGC/IC catalog, it has to delete all the
existing NGC/IC objects (and remove them from the list of named
objects), before parsing the new data files.  My guess is I am either
deleting something I shouldn't, or not deleting something I should.
I'll have to find a way to reproduce the condition.

> - the second time it just worked. I think checkboxes and an 'install
> now' button would be more appropriate so you could check them all,
> start downloading and go eat or something. Especially if later some
> bigger catalogs are added.

The window we're using is the pre-fabricated "Get New Stuff" window
designed by the kdepim people.  It's possible for us to design our own
window, but that will have to wait until after 3.3.

> - when changing the color scheme to night vision via the 'configure
> kstars' menu, it fails to update the window decorations (also in full
> screen). When doing the same thing through the 'Settings->color
> schemes' menu everything works perfect.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into this today.

> - when adding a FOV circle (eg 7x35) this is added in white, even
> when in night vision. Also the icons and the messier pictures might
> be too bright.

The FOV symbol color is not controlled by the color scheme; each defined
symbol has control over its own color.  Is it better to override the
symbol's color when in a "night" mode, or is it better to let the user
define a symbol for use in a night mode.

BTW, I'd like to provide a way for users to create their own "night"
color schemes that will also adjust the window colors; I was thinking
about having it check for the word "night" in the scheme's name, and
using that to trigger darkAppColors.  What do you think?  Similar to
this, we could also look for a FOV symbol with the word "night" in its
name, and automatically switch to that symbol when switching to a night
color scheme.

KStars: A KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars