[Kstars-devel] testing the new code

Mike Rosseel Mike.Rosseel at gmx.net
Sun Jun 6 15:22:58 CEST 2004

Hi all,

With all the hip new features of kstars I decided to check it out (both
meanings) ! Here are my experiences :

- the CVS checkout page fails to mention the fact that, apart from
libkdeedu/kdeeduplot, you also have to compile libkdeedu/extdate
- when running it the first time I had some trouble with the 'hot new stuff' :
it gave the following error messages :

kstars: WARNING: [bool KStarsData::readURLData(QString, int, bool)] MGC 1435
not found
kstars: WARNING: [bool KStarsData::readURLData(QString, int, bool)] NGC_7742
not found
kstars: WARNING: [bool KStarsData::readURLData(QString, int, bool)] Gaspra not
found
kstars: WARNING: [bool KStarsData::readURLData(QString, int, bool)] XXX not
found
QTime::setHMS Invalid time -12:00:00.000
QTime::setHMS Invalid time -12:00:00.000
QTime::setHMS Invalid time -12:00:00.000
QTime::setHMS Invalid time -12:00:00.000
KCrash: Application 'lt-kstars' crashing...

- the second time it just worked. I think checkboxes and an 'install now'
button would be more appropriate so you could check them all, start
downloading and go eat or something. Especially if later some bigger catalogs
are added.

- when changing the color scheme to night vision via the 'configure kstars'
menu, it fails to update the window decorations (also in full screen). When
doing the same thing through the 'Settings->color schemes' menu everything
works perfect.

- when adding a FOV circle (eg 7x35) this is added in white, even when in
night vision. Also the icons and the messier pictures might be too bright.

greetings
Mike