[Kstars-devel] [asking]A little, very useful feature :)

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Wed Jul 28 17:00:45 CEST 2004

Hello,

We call this the "observing list feature", and we are indeed working on
it.  However, it won't be available until sometime after KDE 3.3 is
released.  Thank you for the detailed description; your input will help
shape what this feature becomes.

Also, I did add a feature that allows one to limit the display of
deep-sky objects by magnitude, but I had to disable it.  The problem
is, our current deep-sky catalog has too many objects with no
magnitude.  So it isn't possible to filter these objects properly.
Suprising as it may seem, there is no complete electronic NGC/IC
catalog on the internet that I can distribute with KStars.  The good
news is, starting with KDE 3.3, you'll be able to download separately a
more complete catalog (it has to be a separate download because its
author has specified that it may not be used commercially).

regards,
Jason

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 02:20 am, Jean-Baptiste BUTET wrote:
> Hi all :)
>
> I'm running KSTARS CVS-04072004 and and I wonder if a little feature,
> very useful exists in it or not :
>
> Tomorrow int the evening, I sayd to my self :
> "dear, what a sky !! go and try to make a marathon in Sagitarius and
> scorpion"
>
> But I can't choose magnitude limit of objects (bug ?)... so... I've
> been a little lost under tons of NGC.
>
> So, is it possible (sure it is) and useful (I think it is) to choose
> telescope's diameter  and select a part of sky (with ctrl for
> example) . Once made, kstars can give us a list of NGC (class by
> magnitude, with limit give by diameter of scope (relative magnitude
> is best, isn't it ?) , highlight them.
> Then, I could go-to on this.
>
> Am I clear ?  :))
>
> By this way, I could make a marathon night and have a good use of
> go-to capability.
>
> Clear skies,
>
> 					JB
> --