[Kstars-devel] Re: observing list feature

Jeff Woods jcwoods at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 30 23:22:38 CET 2004

Sorry it's taken me most of the week to get back to you.  My thoughts on
the observing list feature include:

+  Observing list will be implemented as a modeless dialog (seperate
thread of control) so it can be floated around and interacted with
seperately from the main application.  The main widget will likely be a
table view with a row for each object in the observing list and columns
with user specified attributes such as RA, dec, magnatude, etc.  The
user may be able to select/deselect items to appear in the table
(haven't decided).  From this dialog, the user should also have the
ability to move (up/down) or remove objects.  Your suggestion of a
detail window (perhaps included at the bottom of the dialog) would also
make a nice addition.

+  Objects may be selected by right clicking on the item in the main
display and selecting "Add to observing list" from the pop-up menu.  I
may also implement a search of available objects (plug into the
"Find..." dialog?) or add the ability to select items from the "What's
Up Tonight" tool.

+  Allow for sorting of the list based on values in any column of the
table (forward or reverse sort).  I'd also like to add an "intelligent
sort" feature.  Beginning with the westernmost object in the list,
provide a "suggested" traversal of all of the objects.  The suggested
order would minimize telescope motion while at the same time placing an
emphasis on the obects more to the west.  This would be to ensure we
don't move all the way to the east while we're still in the middle of
the list and then have to track back to the west since it's likely that
those objects would have already set.  I've been kicking this algorithm
around with a friend at work for a couple of weeks, and we think we have
it hammered out pretty well.  It will be based on a weighted graph
traversal, with the "weights" being the arc distance between any two
objects.

+  Must allow for printing of the list (I'm tired of copying lists by
hand!).

+  keyboard actions (custom event handlers) should be no trouble.

I'll have to get into the code before I commit to much more.  I'm not
familiar with the KDE libraries, though I have done some development
with Qt.  From what I've seen, though, KDE is very similar.  The work
will likely go slow since I'm very busy (work full time + grad school +
wife + new 12" telescope...) and can probably only commit a couple of
hours per week to the task.  Tony (my friend from work I mentioned above
and who lurks on this list) has offered to help with the sorting piece.