[Kstars-devel] KStars 1.0 CPU Usage

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Mon Jan 5 15:16:04 CET 2004

Hi all,

I was playing a bit with KStars, as packaged with KDE 3.2 Beta 2.
Something weird showed up concerning CPU usage. For example, try
this:

* Open KStars.
* Find Jupiter. Center and follow it.
* Zoom in to maximum zoom on Jupiter. My CPU consumption went to 100%
when I did this. KStars used 80%, X used 20%. This is a bit strange,
since the number of visible objects is very low and move very slowly.
* Now choose the photos of the meteorite impact from the context menu of
Jupiter, wait for it to download.
* As soon as the image popped up, my CPU usage changed. The total usage
was still 100%, but this time 80% was consumed by X and only 20% by
KStars. Looks like KStars is flooding X.

By the way, I have a 800 MHz Athlon box with 256 MB of memory.

Cheers,

Dik