[Kstars-devel] kstars_gl: kdeedu/kstars/kstars

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Feb 22 18:42:51 CET 2004

CVS commit by harris:

Introducing the kstars_gl branch, in which OpenGL support will be
developed.  To checkout this branch, use "cvs co -r kstars_gl
kdeedu/kstars".

I branched this from HEAD; the only differences at this point are in
SkyPoint and SkyMap.  If you have OpenGL working, you can test it out.
However, it is currently very rudimentary:  it displays 5000 bright stars,
the coordinate grid, and the constellation lines, using Equatorial
Coordinates.  You can slew the map with the arrow keys and zoom in/out
with the +/- keys.  Note that FocusPoint is not currently defined, so the
statusbar coordinates, and identification of objects with mouse clicks
will not work properly.

SkyPoint:  Now has double X,Y,Z members and accessor methods.  Wherever
the SkyPoint's position is changed, I have added "setXYZ()", which
re-synchronizes the XYZ coordinates to the new RA/Dec coordinates.

The XYZ positions are not volumetric; that is, they do not take distance
into account.  They are simply the XYZ coordinates on the suface of the
celestial sphere.  I think doing volumetric XYZ is going to be
complicated, because the size/brightness of objects will decrease with
distance, and our magnitudes/sizes already take distance into account.
Plus, for many objects, we do not know the distance.  These are solvable
problems, of course.

SkyMap: I have replaced the paintEvent() function with its QGLWidget
equivalent, paintGL().  In that function, we now call GL-equivalents of
each of our draw functions.  Many of these have not yet been implemented,
and remain commented out.

In addition, I have reimplemented the arrow-key and +/- key cases in
SkyMap::keyPressEvent().

I welcome all interested parties to join me in developing this branch,
either by commiting code or making suggestions on the list!

CCMAIL: kstars-devel at kde.org

  M +1 -1      Makefile.am   1.102.2.1
  M +48 -1     skymap.cpp   1.123.2.1
  M +34 -6     skymap.h   1.54.2.1
  M +146 -0    skymapdraw.cpp   1.50.2.1
  M +98 -62    skymapevents.cpp   1.86.2.1
  M +66 -0     skypoint.cpp   1.22.2.1
  M +24 -0     skypoint.h   1.18.2.1