[Kstars-devel] Re: angular distance tool

Pablo de Vicente p.devicente at wanadoo.es
Thu Feb 19 21:17:53 CET 2004

El Jueves, 19 de Febrero de 2004 18:00, Jason Harris escribió:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2004 11:15 pm, Pablo de Vicente wrote:
> > > I believe the problem is that when I hit "]" on the second object, it
> > > uses the *first* object as both the first and second points, and gives
> > > an angle very close to zero.  This is happening when I am fast enough
> > > that the TransientLabel is still fading on the first object.  If I wait
> > > until the TransientLabel appears on the second object, then I get the
> > > correct angle.  My guess is we just need to add a call to "SkyMap::
> > > objectNearest()" to the slot attached to "]".
> >
> >  I cannot reproduce this behaviour. I move the mouse and quickly press
> > "[" (in empty sky) and move the mouse and quickly press "]" (If you use
> > "[" and "]" you do not need to be on an object, the empty sky is OK). I
> > always get distances greater than 0. I have also tried on objects when
> > the transient label is appearing and it also works here. I will try again
> > with greater zooms or other conditions to try to reproduce this
> > behaviour.
>
> Very strange.  It happens for me every time.  I hit "[" on one star, then
> move to another star and hit "]".  I get something near zero every time
> (like "0d 06m 14s").  I can workaround it by left-clicking at some point
> between the "[" and "]" events; it doesn't seem to matter where or when I
> click.
>
> Perhaps related: when I press "[" on an object and then move the mouse
> away, its Transient label does not fade away, and I don't get a new laabel
> when hovering on another object.  Again, if I left-click somewhere in the
> map, then the first object's label fades and I can then invoke new
> transient labels by hovering.  I don't know, maybe the problem is in the
> transient label stuff.  Strange that it isn't happening this way for you,
> though.  Has anyone else tried it?
>
> regards,
> Jason

Hello Jason,

I am CCing this message to you because I have sent two more messages to the
list but they do not show up.

I have downloaded from the CVS the whole  KStars in a host different from the
one I use to develop code. I have compiled it and tested it. The angular
distance tool works fine for me. I see none of the effects you mention.
Can you also try to install a fresh copy from the CVS on a different host to
recheck this behaviour?

Somebody else should also test this.

regards,

Pablo