[Kstars-devel] Full screen mode

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Mon Feb 16 23:37:47 CET 2004

Hello,

On Monday 16 February 2004 03:22 pm, Heiko Evermann wrote:
> It works just fine. I have added "full screen" in the view menu and in
> the toolbar. The menu entry switches the text, and the toolbar button
> automagically gets displayed as "pressed"/"not pressed"
>
> ... and ...
>
> it gets translated without any change! It uses a KDE standard action and
> it is covered by kdelibs.po.

Looks great!  We can now close the wishlist item :)

> Only one question: should we save full screen mode together with other
> options? At the moment we save window size and position. So if you
> switch to full screen, close kstars and repopen it, you get a very big
> window, but no full screen. If we want to change that, we would have to
> change kstarsoptions. Would it still be compatible with older saved
> options? What changes would be neccessary there?

My opinion is to save the fullscreen status in the config file, and be sure
not to save new values of windowWidth and windowHeight if fullscreen==true.
That way, when the user restarts kstars in fullsize mode, they can toggle it
off and restore the original window size from their previous session.

> > ...but you can't add it to BRANCH; this would count as a new feature.
>
> I don't know why we shouldn't also add it to KDE_3_2_BRANCH after it is
> thoroughly tested. Is there any mailing list to ask for permission? Is
>
> there a total feature freeze, even though KDE 3.2.0 is out? I had
> thought that the feature and string freeze only apply till KDE 3.2(.0)
> was done. It is even possible to add some (limited number of) new
> strings if you are so polite to inform i18n-kde-doc to inform the
> translators about it, if it is some improvement worth the effort.

Sorry, the 3_2_BRANCH is strictly for bugfixes only, and that doesn't include
filled wishlists.  IIUC, strings changes in BRANCH are only allowed for
bugfixes also.  As a KDE app, we have to follow this policy.  If users want
to take advantage of features we've added since 3.2, they have to compile
from the HEAD branch.  Alternatively, we can package another "cvs snapshot"
release once we have accumulated a large number of features, if we feel that
3.3 is still a long way off.

regards,
KStars: KDE Desktop Planetarium
kstars at 30doradus.org