[Kstars-devel] kstars is great :)

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri Aug 27 20:10:40 CEST 2004

Hi Alessio,

On Friday 27 August 2004 03:35 am, Alessio Sangalli wrote:
> Yesterday night was so clear that I couldn't stay at home: I went out
> (alone) to the top of a mountain near here with the telescope and the
> laptop.
>
> I own a Nexstar gt114. Using it with kstars is *real* fun. When you
> watch the computer screen you can quickly find an interesting object,
> with a mouse click the telescope turns and there it is.

Great! :)

> Next autumn/winter I think I will always bring the laptop when we
> prepare observing nights for schools.

I have started doing this with schools also; I am going to bring my
laptop to use kstars as a demo of how the night sky works, but I have a
powerbook, so I can't drive a telescope with it (yet!)

> One only thing: the "what's up tonite" is nice but you cannot
> interact with the object presented there. It would be very useful to
> have the same "right click" behaviour as when you click on the main
> screen.
>
> I tried to patch kstars for this purpose. I added a KSPopupMenu in
> wutdialogui.h and a slot in wutdialog.cpp connected to the
> rightButtonPressed signal of "ObjectListBox" but when I test kstars
> freezes or crashes. I should study the inside of kstars much better,
> but: do you think it's easy to add such a function?

This would be a nice feature to have.  It sounds like you are on the
right track.  Maybe you can post the error dump, or even post the
patch, if you need help.

Oh, wait, maybe I see the problem.  Don't manually change any *ui.h
files; these are auto-generted from the *.ui files.  You should change
wutdialog.h instead.

good luck!
KStars: A KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars