[Kstars-devel] Re: kdeedu/libkdeedu [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Apr 18 23:30:35 CEST 2004

On Sunday 18 April 2004 11:14 am, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> K, I see.  Maybe you can ask TrollTech whether you can redistribute
> it under the LGPL, or perhaps they might accept your code in Qt
> itself ? Or perhaps you could replace the GPL code ?

An alternative might be to redo these classes as actual inherited
subclasses of the Qt counterparts, rather than cut-n-paste rewrites:

class ExtDate : public QDate {
};

That's how many KDE classes with Qt counterparts (KLineEdit,
KMainWindow, etc) are done.  Definitely more elegant, and it would
allow for the LGPL.  (Actually, it's an interesting question to ask
whether KMainWindow constitutes a "derived work" of QMainWindow.  It
definitelty hooks into the Qt API, and clearly classes like KMainWindow
would be useless without Qt.  So I guess I don't understand how
KMainWindow can be LGPL'd, but if they can do it that way, I suppose we
can too.).

cheers,
KStars: A KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars