[Kstars-devel] Re: [kde-edu-devel] size of kdeedu

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Mon Sep 8 09:44:46 CEST 2003

Hello,

Just to get the ball rolling, current size of subdirs (in MB):

debian:  0.6
doc: 6.4
flashkard: 0.3
kalzium: 1.4
kbruch: 0.2
keduca: 0.7
khangman: 3.3
kig: 2.1
kiten: 5.9
klettres: 5.8
kmathtool: 0.6
kmessedwords: 1.1
kmplot 0.5
kpercentage: 0.5
kstars: 18.7
ktouch: 16.1
kverbos: 0.7
kvoctrain: 2.9
libkdeedu: 0.3

total: 68.1

KStars and KTouch are half the module, so clearly our best shot at
reducing kdeedu is to reduce these two apps.  Since 3.1, the most
significant increase to kstars was increasing the number of stars from
40,000 to 126,000.  I could revert this and shed 5.4 MB (making the
remainder an optional download...perhaps integrated in the UI).  If I
do the same with object images, I'll lose another 3.3 MB.  That still
leaves KStars at 10 MB.  After this, cuts will be more difficult.

Jason

--
KStars: A KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars