[Kstars-devel] Cities and bug report

Alessio Sangalli alesan at manoweb.com
Wed Dec 17 18:34:51 CET 2003

Jason Harris wrote:
> Hello Alessio,
>
> Thank you for your help testing INDI, and for the Italian cities and bug
> report.  I believe you are the first user to contribute cities using a
> handheld GPS receiver!  Pretty neat.

I would like kstars to be able to get the space and *time* coordinates
directly from a GPS device. It's not that hard as GPS devices now
support the standard NMEA protocol, and a little daemon that parses the
serial ouput is already available (gpsd).

Maybe, if I get into QT/KDE programmin and I have enough time, I could
contribute such a piece of code...

> Since KDE is currently in "strings freeze" prior to the 3.2 release, we cannot
> add cities to the database at this time.  If you wouldn't mind, can you file
> a wishlist item for adding these cities at bugs.kde.org?  That way, we'll be
> sure to remember to add them once the freeze is lifted.

ok I will do it after this email :)

> I will look into the other bug report soon; there's no need to file a report
> at bugs.kde.org for it (but you can if you want to).

If I have no news about this bug in the next days, I will fill the
report to let you remember about it :)

> Thanks again for all your help...if you aren't careful, you're going to find
> yourself part of the KStars team! :)

I'm not sure I will have enough time, but I would be very glad to enter
your team!

bye thank you for the wonderful work
ciao
as