[Kstars-devel] Re: kdeedu/kstars/kstars

Alessio Sangalli alesan at manoweb.com
Wed Dec 17 12:12:33 CET 2003

Jasem Mutlaq wrote:
> CVS commit by mutlaqja:

This morning I had a chance to mount the telescope and, althought I
could not watch real stars, test kstar's new fixes about telescope
control. My telescope is a Celestron Nexstar 114GT. I run a laptop with
KDE 3.1.4 and a usb-serial adapter based on the PL2303 chipset. The
cable I've built to connect the telescope and the serial port has "fake"
handshake signals made by connecting together RTS/CTS and DTR/DSR. I run
linux-2.6.0-test11-bk5.

> Two important fixes:
>
> 1. The telescope port name is now stored in kstarsrc.

yes it works. very useful; together with yesterday's fix, now setting
the serial port is not a pain anymore :)

> 2. The Telescope Connection Wizard no longer causes the celestron driver to crash upon connection.

it's true. I tried many times to connect and I never had a single
failure; before, 3 out of 4 connection attempts I had that the indi
thing die for some (now fixed) reason.

> The celestron driver update frequency is at 1 Hz now (instead of 0.5 Hz), please test this with a celestron telescope. Use the Wizard and let it automatically scan ports, this should work now.

yes I can confirm it works. Though I've never used this option in the
previous version, the port scanning is quite fast and it finds my
telescope's serial port.
In my setup, I have a laptop with an USB-serial adapter only.

Is it possible to control multiple telescopes at the same time? Some
friends of mine have my same telescope (Celestron Nexstar 114GT). Can we
try to let them work together?

Thank you for the wonderful job!!!
bye
Alessio Sangalli