[Kstars-devel] [beginner] compile kstars

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Mon Dec 8 15:39:36 CET 2003

Hello,

> However I have another problem. While on my laptop (pIII at 700MHz + ati
> mach64 4MB) the program runs very well, on my desktop computer (Athlon
> 2500+, matrox g400max 32MB) 9 times out of 10 kstars loads but then
> blocks; I can see the X process that takes up 99% ot cpu time. The only
> solution is to kill kstars (while the X system is verrrry sloooow to
> accept commands). Even the one time kstars works as expacted, the
> scrolling is much slower than in my laptop. I've already installed the
> latest drivers from Matrox but nothing changes. I've put a 2.6 kernel
> but the situation is the same. DRI is enabled, if it matters.
>
> Are you aware of any bugs similar to this one?

Yes, we have seen this from time to time (including on my own machine at one
point), but we haven't been able to track down the problem.  I do think it
may be a video driver problem, especially since it only happens for a small
fraction of users.

I would suggest disabling DRI; as I recall when I had this problem, disabling
DRI made it go away.  I have since gotten a different video card, and I can
now run kstars no problem with DRI activated.  If nothing else, disable DRI
as a test, just to see if that is the cause of the problem.

Sorry about that,
KStars:  A K Desktop Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars