[Kstars-devel] Backporting kstars updates

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sat Aug 30 22:30:32 CEST 2003

Hi Ben,

Simply copying the HEAD data directory into the 3.1.3 codebase is not
going to work, unfortunately.  The functions KStarsData::readSAOData()
and processSAO() will need to be replaced with readStarData() and
processStar() from HEAD.  I expect there will be a number of other
changes that will need to be made as well.  On what timescale do you
need this?  I am willing to help you get the backports working.  Maybe
I can open a debian branch on CVS based on 3.1.3?

By the way, I am now working on a replacement of our NGC and IC
nonstellar object catalogs.  Same story as SAO: the source from which I
originally got these was ambiguously licensed, so I am making my own
version, by synthesizing data from many online sources.

regards,
Jason

PS- Please note that the KStars devel list is now kstars-devel at kde.org.

On Saturday 30 August 2003 08:48 pm, Ben Burton wrote:
> Hi.  I'm now in the process of backporting all of your
> license-related updates to the debian packages, which are based on
> KDE 3.1.3 and not CVS HEAD.
>
> AIUI, the changes I need to make are:
>
> - Replace the entire kstars/data directory in KDE 3.1.3 with
> kstars/data from HEAD;
> - Update README.images with the version from HEAD;
> - Delete images with undesirable licenses.
>
> Is this all I need to do, or are there changes that must be made to
> the source code as well?  I would expect some of the code that
> handles the data files to be modified as a result of the updates, but
> the diffs between HEAD and BRANCH are fairly large and it's difficult
> for me to tell which are UI updates or new features and which are
> related to the catalogue change.
>
> Thanks - Ben. :)

KStars: A KDE Planetarium
http://edu.kde.org/kstars