Build help - (pretty) please

Steve Maher steve.f.maher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 13:59:30 GMT 2019

Hi,

Sorry to pester about building.  I've been mucking around and getting
hounded by other work.  This seems very vanilla and probably an easy answer
- which added to INSTALL doc would help others.

Thanks,
Steve

My understanding of a linux build is (as per INSTALL.qmake)

   1. download kst
   2. install tools (Qt, gsl, pkg-config - and optional 3rd party data
   sources)
   3. set $QTDIR
   4. run build-kst

1) Tools installed

mce at ubuntu18:~/git/kst$ gsl -v
*GSL/4.1.4*

mce at ubuntu18:~/git/kst$ *pkg-config* --version
*0.29.1*

mce at ubuntu18:~/git/kst$ qmake --version
*QMake version 2.01a*
*Using Qt version 4.8.7 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu*

mce at ubuntu18:~/git/kst$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="*18.04.1* LTS (Bionic Beaver)"

2) $QTDIR env. var

mce at ubuntu18:~/git/kst$ head *$QTDIR*/dist/installer-changelog
*                        *2.0.4-2*
 *

3) Unmodified kst-plot/kst.git

mce at ubuntu18:~/git/kst$ git log |head
commit *74197368*b1e8acb46aee8ae724dc8402e02b5a17
Author: Barth Netterfield <netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca>
Date:   Wed Nov 28 17:54:12 2018 -0500

mce at ubuntu18:~/git/kst$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

nothing to commit, *working tree clean*

4) Running build-kst within kst/

mce at ubuntu18:~/git/kst$ ./build-kst
Building Kst from /home/mce/git/kst into /home/mce/git/kst/build
Building in Debug mode
Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/libkst/libkst.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/libkst]
WARNING: Failure to find: builtindatasources.cpp
WARNING: Failure to find: datasourcepluginfactory.cpp
WARNING: Failure to find: builtindatasources.h
WARNING: Failure to find: datasourcepluginfactory.h
WARNING: Failure to find: kst_i18n.h
WARNING: Failure to find: timezones.h
Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/libkstmath/libkstmath.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/libkstmath]
WARNING: Failure to find: emailthread.cpp
WARNING: Failure to find: emailthread.h
Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/datasources/datasources.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/datasources]
Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/widgets/widgets.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/widgets]
WARNING: Failure to find: ../../../src/images/images.qrc
Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/libkstapp/libkstapp.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/libkstapp]
WARNING: Failure to find: dialogscriptinterface.cpp
WARNING: Failure to find: scriptinterface.cpp
WARNING: Failure to find: stringscriptinterface.cpp
WARNING: Failure to find: dialogscriptinterface.h
WARNING: Failure to find: scriptinterface.h
WARNING: Failure to find: stringscriptinterface.h
WARNING: Failure to find: ../../../src/images/images.qrc
Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/kst/kst.pro [/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/kst]
WARNING: Failure to find: ../../../src/images/images.qrc
Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/d2asc/d2asc.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/d2asc]
Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/plugins.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
 Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/filters/filters.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/filters]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/filters/despike/despike.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/filters/despike]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/filters/cumulativesum/
cumulativesum.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/filters/cumulativesum]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/filters/differentiation/
differentiation.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/filters/differentiation]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/filters/cumulativeaverage/
cumulativeaverage.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/filters/cumulativeaverage]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/filters/unwind/unwind.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/filters/unwind]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/filters/window/window.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/filters/window]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
 Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/dataobject.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/bin/bin.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject/bin]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/chop/chop.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject/chop]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/crossspectrum/
crossspectrum.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject/crossspectrum]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/effectivebandwidth/
effectivebandwidth.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject/effectivebandwidth]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/lockin/lockin.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject/lockin]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/periodogram/
periodogram.pro [/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject/periodogram]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/phase/phase.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject/phase]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/shift/shift.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject/shift]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/statistics/statistics.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject/statistics]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
  Reading /home/mce/git/kst/src/plugins/dataobject/syncbin/syncbin.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/plugins/dataobject/syncbin]
Package gsl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gsl.pc'
No package 'gsl' found
Project MESSAGE: Could not find gsl disabling associated features
Reading /home/mce/git/kst/tests/tests.pro [/home/mce/git/kst/build/tests]
Reading /home/mce/git/kst/tests/dirfile_maker/dirfile_maker.pro
[/home/mce/git/kst/build/tests/dirfile_maker]
cd src/libkst/ && make -f Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/libkst'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'builtindatasources.cpp', needed by
'tmp/builtindatasources.o'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/mce/git/kst/build/src/libkst'
Makefile:48: recipe for target 'sub-src-libkst-make_default-ordered' failed
make: *** [sub-src-libkst-make_default-ordered] Error 2