[Kst] Entry for kst on kde.org/applications (was: Re: [Kde-extra-gear] This list and associated website will be ending in one week)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Feb 13 09:55:50 UTC 2016

Hi Barth,

thanks for joining :)

Am Freitag, 12. Februar 2016, 12:13:42 CET schrieb Barth Netterfield:
> Hi, Friedrich
>
> The Link extragear.kde.org/apps/kst/ can die, but we would really like to
> keep our current page at kst.kde.org (and, it turns out, kst-plot.kde.org).
>  It is the apps main page, and where we send everyone.  Is this possible?
> I really don't know how we came to have our own subdomain, but it is nice
> :-)

Sure, that subdomain and similar ones are not going to be touched here, and
can (and should) be used to send people to for a real maintained homepage.

Only extragear.kde.org is going to be put to rest finally here.

> We are happy to also have a page at kde.org/applications, and I can send you
> a json for it.  BUT: these pages seem to be rather limited, and not the
> main page of most applications.  The existing kde.org/application pages
> should at least also link to the application's main page.

There is a "homepage" entry possible in the JSON description for that purpose.
E.g. used for Marble (who also have their marble.kde.org subdomain):
https://www.kde.org/applications/education/marble

KStar's entry could and should be updated then.

> I am not sure what the purpose of that page is, except to know that the
> application exists.  There is no way of knowing how to install the
> application, etc.

Those pages below kde.org/applications can be considered something like a
catalog of all apps developed in the kde.org community, providing the most
important info on a quick look, with a consistent layout for quick access.
(Agreed that they surely can be improved a little here and there, but that is
a different issue, to be tackled as an independent step).

Cheers
Friedrich