[Kst] ASCII data - confusion about multiple plots

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 3 23:33:46 UTC 2016

As you have sort of figured out, kst's data source model will want you to
have 3 different ascii files in this case.

But, if you just want to plot points, and not lines, you can use NaN as
your bad data marker.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 6:30 PM, Daniel Miller <dmiller at vitalconnect.com>
wrote:

> I have kst2 working with single plot stream... that works very nicely.  At
> this point, I'm using space as separator between fields.
>
> However, we have a couple of data streams which contain multiple data (x,
> y, z); in this situation, what our data would look like is ( timestamp,
> data), but the data would be one of { data_x, data_y, data_z }.  In other
> words, the data stream that I receive from the hardware, delivers data_x,
> data_y, data_z in separate messages, with different timestamps.
>
> I want kst2 to read this ascii data file and plot 3 separate graphs on one
> plot.
> I'm a little confused about how to do this, though;
>
> for example, say I have a line with data for data_z; this will look
> something like:
> timestamp data_z
> however, I want one file to contain data for all three streams, so I'm
> guessing I need to have empty fields for the not-relevant data; maybe
> something like:
> timestamp unused_x unused_y data_z
> timestamp unused_x data_y unused_z
> etc...
>
> So first off, I probably have to use a different separator rather than
> space for separator; but even with comma, I still have a problem; for
> example:
>
> timestamp, 0, 0, data_z
> timestamp, 0, data_y, 0
>
> Except that in some cases, 0 is valid data; I *think* I need some way to
> represent "invalid data" in the unused fields.
>
> Is this understandable??  How do I handle this??
> Dan Miller

C. Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto
416-845-0946