[Kst] Change data file using a different configuration fails

Sam Theobald sam.theobald at monodraught.com
Thu Apr 7 12:38:53 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I use the "Change Data File" feature a lot to compare different data logs from a number of systems using template .kst session files I have set up to analyse the data. The data is in ASCII format (.CSV files), but there are variations in the number of lines of header info before the data depending upon which system produced the log.

If I try to change the data file when the default ASCII configuration doesn't match the file I am trying to import, changing the ASCII configuration doesn't work and displays the message "The file could not be loaded or contains no data". The only way I have found to work around this is to change the ASCII configuration and select the "Apply these settings by default" checkbox, save the session, close KST2, re-open the session (now with the correct ASCII configuration as default) and then re-try the "Change Data File" feature.

For example:

File A (First ASCII default configuration):
Var A, Var B, Var C
1,2,3
4,5,6

File B (New ASCII format with configuration as new default):
Heading 1
Heading 2
Var A, Var B, Var C
2,3,4
5,6,7

File C (File to change data to in session created using File A, matching File A format):
Var A, Var B, Var C
3,4,5,
6,7,8

If I create a session for File A, save it, create a new session for File B and apply the new configuration required as default, then re-open the session for File A and try to change the data file to File C, I get the error even if I change the ASCII data source configuration. If I save the ASCII configuration defaults to match Files A & C, then save the session, restart KST and try to change the data file from A to C, it now works.

Is the ASCII configuration being set up in the Change Data File dialog somehow not being used when trying to import the new data?

I use KST2 on Windows 7, and have had this issue in version 2.0.8, up to the latest windows build available on https://github.com/Kst-plot/kst-build (Kst-2.0.x-2016.03.31-17.02).

Finally, thanks for KST2, it is a brilliant program that I have used for many years and really appreciate what you have done.

Regards,

Samuel Theobald
Electronics Design Engineer
www.monodraught.com<http://www.monodraught.com/>