[Kst] [EXTERNAL] Problem using KST from Command Line

Roger Wehage raw915 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 13:17:15 UTC 2015

Hi David,

Can you explain this a bit more? I’m trying to generate plots from the command line without using a .kst file. Since I’m using the precompiled kst binary inside the kst2.app installed from the downloaded kst2.dmg, I assume that the binary was compiled with predefined default settings for Data Manager and Data Wizard. What I know is that the settings in Data Wizard when I launch kst though the kst2.app are:

Apply these settings as default is not checked
Data starts at line: 2
Read field names from line: 1 is checked
Read units from line: 1 is not checked
Decimal Separator: is set to Dot
Space/tab delimited is selected
Interpret empty value as: Zero is selected

Other settings, some of which I had set in previous sessions, are

Curve Placement: 1 new plot per curve
Plot Layout: Custom grid Columns: 3
Plot Placement (Tabs): All in current tab is selected
Labels: Rescale all labels on tab is checked
Legends: Auto is selected
Curve Style: Lines only

I don’t know if some or all of these settings become the default for command-line execution or if they revert back to defaults set when the kst binary was created. I’m guessing that any of my changes from factory defaults do not apply for command-line execution. From the KST Command Line Usage most of these settings cannot be changed through options. And I know that at least one of the above settings do not apply when I invoke kst from the command line. For example, I have set Plot Layout: Custom grid Columns: 3 but I get only one column for any number of plots from the command line.

Also I have found that at least one Kst Settings in Preferences… does not work as I would expect. Preferences should be remembered. I haven’t explored all of them, but under Scaling the default Reference view size: the default is A4. When I set it to Letter I would expect my preference to be Letter the next time I launch kst. But when I relaunch kst it has been set back to A4, which means that my preference was not remembered.

So I’m not sure what most kst settings are when called from the command line or how to change them if I wanted to. It would be nice to set up and save a kst configuration file from within the kst GUI using Data Manager and Data Wizard and then append this configuration file to the command line. I know that a .kst file already does something along these lines, but it is too rigid. Having to set up a different .kst file in the GUI for potentially thousands of variations that I envision defeats the purpose of the command-line feature.

Let’s take this simple example. I have a file containing 100 channels. The user wants to plot 15 of those channels in three columns. Which 15 channels does she want and in what order? Take your pick. She wants to plot any 15 of those channels in any order. How many combinations is that? So how would I implement this from the command line? Right now I know of only one way, and it’s a hack. In the GUI I set up a .kst file to generate 15 plots in three columns for the first fifteen channels, say c01 through c15, exactly as I want her to see them. When she runs this .kst file from the command line she will see plots of the first fifteen channels by rows in the 5 by 3 grid, which is likely not what she wants.

So what is the hack? Through my GUI she will select any 15 channels from my channels list in any order. Then my program will temporarily permute channel headings in the data file so that c01 through c15 appear above the 15 channels in the order she selected them. Since I had set up the .kst file to look for channels c01 through c15 in that order, it will find and plot her 15 channels in the order she selected.

Best regards,

Roger