[Kst] Problem using KST from Command Line

Roger Wehage raw915 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 16:38:54 UTC 2015

I’ve installed Kst 2.0.x - A data viewing program, Revision fb63718, from the kst-2.0.8-binary.dmg. It is running on a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 with OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3.

I’m running the binary located inside the kst2.app file from the Terminal, and it works fine when I set up and use a .kst file. However, it doesn’t produce what I expect when I don’t use a .kst file. For example, the —help: Examples/Data sources and fields: Plot all data in column 2 from data.dat. —> kst data.dat -y 2 does not produce what I expect.

This is my input .dat file

x y
-5 6.25
-4 4
-3 2.25
-2 1
-1 0.25
0 0
1 0.25
2 1
3 2.25
4 4
5 6.25

From within the subdirectory containing simple.dat I issued the command:

kst2 simple.dat -y 2

and got

The x-axis is as I expected, but the y-axis is not, and there is no plot of the entries in column 2.

Likewise issuing the command:

kst2 simple.dat -x 1 -y 2

produces

Again the columns are placed correctly but values from the file are ignored and there is no plot.

What I expected in this case was something like

with at least the correct x and y axis range and maybe x’s marking the data points.

I also removed the first line containing x y from simple.dat and this made no difference.

What am I doing wrong? Do the examples from —help require a .kst file to work correctly?