[Kst] NetCDF packages

Christian Trippe ctrippe at opensuse.org
Wed Oct 15 13:15:04 UTC 2014

Hi Nicolas,

> On 14/10/2014 20:55, Nicolas Brisset wrote:
> > Hi Christian/Jan,
> >
> > You may have seen on the Kst list that we're trying to get NetCDF-4 to
> > work better, which requires to compile NetCDF it with HDF5 support. Under
> > Linux, at least on OpenSuse, apparently there is HDF5 support. However, I
> > tried to work with one file making use of newer NetCDF-4 features and I
> > noticed that the C++ wrapper we use is obsolete. Apparently, since
> > version 4.2 the C++ library has been improved by Lynton Appel (which I'm
> > putting in CC in case he has news from the packaging front) and split out
> > of the base package, see
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-cxx/index.jsp and
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/cxx4/
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1) do you know who's maintaining the NetCDF packages?

The NetCDF C++ library is maintained by Christian Morales Vega (in CC) (at
least osc says so)

> > 2) do you think it would be an issue to update to this new wrapper?

I don't know of another user of libnetcdf_c++.so.4 except of kst in openSUSE,
so we probably can update to the version which is required by kst.

> > 3) if it's feasible, how can we best phase the changes so that we don't
> > end up with a version with reduced support for NetCDF-4?

At the moment we are preparing openSUSE 13.2 which will be released in the
next month. After this we have enough time to adjust everything fo the next
release.

However reading the answer from Lynton it seems it would be useful to first
have a new nedCDF C++ version published upstream.

Am Mittwoch, 15. Oktober 2014, 10:11:15 schrieb Appel, Lynton:
> Hi Nicolas
> I developed a C++ API that I use in a code here at CCFE (Culham Centre
> for Fusion Energy, UK) called EFIT++.
> This API is in the UNIDATA respository as you have noted.  I had a
> problem working with user-defined types
> so I made some developments (improvements) on this which I never put
> back into the UNIDATA repository.
> At the time there was a bug in the HDF5 layer which took some time to
> resolve by which I time I had less time
> to work on the netCDF C++ aspect.
> So in summary my netCDF C++ API as published on the website does work,
> but I have a better local version
> that wasn't put back; also to my knowledge the original "official" one
> that is on the netCDF website doesn't work.
>
> Hope that helps.....
> Lynton

Regards
Christian