[Kst] Building Python cmake error

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 15 15:57:59 UTC 2014

Sorry for the slow reply...

It is only in git.  as far as I know, it is not packaged.

To get pykst working:
Install python 2 (>~2.7)
install numpy and scipy
install pyside or PyQt4

If you use PyQt4, then you need to edit pyKst/pykst.py to comment out the
line

  from PySide import QtCore, QtNetwork

and uncomment the line

  from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtNetwork

(I use PySide but both should be just fine).

Then you need to copy pykst.py to the python directory (in ubuntu, it is
/usr/lib/python2.7).

Then it should "just work".

In pyKst/demo are some files, some of which work.  You might try
testdataobjects.py

Documentation is available in pyKst/html.  But you have to build it.  If
you have the correct packages installed (and I don't remember what they
are) then "make html" will create pyKst/html/_build/html/index.html.

This stuff is definitely alpha (which means some stuff might work... but
might break... and might change... and might not match the documentation.)
 But I would really appreciate real world testing and am definitely open to
suggestions on how to make the API better!

also: I'm developing in linux, and have no idea how to get python running
in windows, or how to install packages in OsX or windows, or how to do
almost anything in OsX or windows.   It might be really easy.   But
everything here refers to linux....

cbn

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Kevin Burr <kburr at kylowave.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     In the CMake GUI I turned on kst_python, kst_python_build but left
> kst_python_prefix blank, hoping cmake would use some sort of default path
> (I did try giving it a path but it make no difference to the error)
>
>     When I did a configure I received this error:
>           CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:362 (add_subdirectory):
>           The source directory
>
>           E:/Work/kst/pyKst
>
>           does not contain a CMakeLists.txt file.
>
>     The pyKst directory doesn't contain a cmake file, but the cmake/pyKst
> directory does.
>
>      Is there something obvious I have done wrong?
>

> Thank-you

C. Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto
416-845-0946