[Kst] Adding functionality to KST2

Kevin Burr kburr at kylowave.com
Thu Jul 10 21:33:11 UTC 2014

Hi,

     In various places in the documentation it mentions that if you are
considering extending KST to let the community know.  So...

     We need a Window's visualization tool that can handle a high data rate
in real time.  KST seems to be an obvious choice, but we need to be able to
send configuration data back to the application that is generating the data.
(Right now the data is being sent to a text file. In the future if that is
not fast enough we may use a different data format, but KST doesn't seem to
have any problems snapping up the data as it arrives, so text seems good)

     My question is how *difficult* is it to extend KST2's MS-Window's GUI
to add menu items to send configuration data back to the data application
(as well as other things like open a log browser, etc. - but we don't need
to add any filters, fits, or custom data sources)

     Looking through the documentation there seems to be four ways to do
this:

1 :-    *Extensions* seem just what we need, but they are not supported on
Windows.  (...although we do not need NumPy)

2 :-    A *DataObject* plugin sounds like a good idea, but I can't find any
examples and the API looks daunting.

3 :-    All the plugins I looked at were based on the *BasicPlugin* plugin,
but we don't need to manipulate the data.  KST has all the functionality we
need already.

4 :-    Go into KST's code and add the functionality directly.  That looked
much more daunting than figuring out the DataObject's interfaces...

       We have an experienced programmer (me :-) but uneducated to the ways
of KST, Qt, KDE, etc., what would be the simplest way to add the
functionality we need?

Thank-you.