[Kst] 2.0.8

Ben Lewis egretengineering at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 01:22:47 UTC 2014

Hi Barth,

Please see my answers to your questions below.

I can send you a VirtualBox disk image and virtual machine so that you can simulate my set up. The
problem is that the disk image will be about 8Gb.

Alternative, if you have access to a 32bit Windows machine and a 64bit Windows machine I can send
you instructions on how to recreate my set up. These could be virtual machines if you do not have
access to the physical PCs.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Regards, Ben

On 21/02/2014 8:33 AM, Barth Netterfield wrote:
> On February 19, 2014 9:20:31 PM Ben Lewis wrote:
>
>> Hi Barth,
>>
>> In my opinion, these bugs should be fixed before releasing 2.0.8:
>>
>>    * Kst reads the entire first vector, at semi-regular intervals, instead of
>> reading just the new data appended to the end of the file. This makes it
>> difficult to work with large, live, data files because the full vector read
>> slows everything down too much.
> I have not been able to reproduce this, though it sounds like a file system
> related race condition is triggering the re-load.  Can you give me some
> details like OS, filesystem, local or remote, media type, data accumulation
> rate (fields/row and rows/s), file format, etc.
I have a USB memory stick plugged into the PC where the data is generated. Data is collected to a
RAM buffer and then written to a CSV file on the memory stick. The memory stick has Windows file
sharing enabled so that it is accessible over the local network.
Kst runs on a different PC. The shared drive (memory stick) on the remote PC is mapped to a local
drive. Kst then reads the CSV file as if it were a local file (with update type set to "time interval")
The connection between the two PCs is either via a LAN cable or an Ad-hoc WiFi connection. The
problem exists under both cases.

Remote System (where CSV data file is generated)
OS: WindowsXP embedded (32bit)
File System: Data is written to a USB memory stick, formatted with NTFS
Data Accumulation Rate:
      fields/row: 5
      characters per field: 7
      bytes per row: 41
      rows per second: 1500

I've attached the first 100 lines of a data file.

Local System (where Kst is run)
OS: Windows7 (64bit)
File System: Remote NTFS drive is mapped to local drive
Kst: 64bit build

>> *   "Out of Memory" error
>> http://kde.6490.n7.nabble.com/Out-of-memory-error-td1555215.html The error
>> message has been improved but the message still appears when it shouldn't.
> I also can't reproduce this.  Can you give me details (OS, file size)?  Is the
> data being updated real time during the read?  At what rate?
Same as above

>>    * I sometimes get snippets of data missing in a live plot. If I restart
>> Kst and reload the data there are no missing bits. This seems to happen
>> when there is a large amount of network traffic (my data file is not on a
>> local disk). This is hard to reproduce so it's probably not worth worrying
>> about at this stage.
> Yes.... are you using smb or nfs?  Is it at all correlated with the first bug?
I'm using Window file sharing.
It could very well be related to the first bug but I have no way of telling.