[Kst] [Kst-plot/kst] b288dc: buffer limit needs to be 64 bit

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sun Nov 3 07:35:40 UTC 2013

On 02.11.2013 14:59, Nicolas Brisset wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I just saw you did something about progress feedback when loading a big ASCII file. Nice :-)
> I actually had a look a couple of days ago at improved feedback when loading large documents (see roadmap, one of the long-standing open points). I added a couple of status messages in Document::open using the mainwindow statusbar, but it turned out that the dimensioning action was parsing the data (I tried it with a big ASCII file) so I thought I should add it there. I did not continue because I wasn't sure whether it was good design to add a call to a GUI item from the datasource, considering that:
> 1) we have a batch mode that needs to continue working
> 2) the class would then be less reusable if we ever want to use if for a data converter (in Kst 1.x days we had tools to convert between supported data formats, based on data sources).
>
> I haven't tested your change yet since I get a compile error. But one remark: in the main window there is a status bar with a hidden progress bar, maybe it would be better to use it instead of creating another widget, as I think you do from looking at the code. Check MainWindow::createStatusBar() to see what I mean.
> Then we have to make sure the batch mode is no issue, and think about the possible consequences if we wanted to use that class in another pure command-line tool.

Ah thanks for the pointer, I didn't know there is something already existing.
Current solution is more lika a hack, because any real solution would be asynchronous,
means a thread for loading which posts the progress to the main thread (only in the
main thread the gui could be updated and it should never be blocked).

Peter