[Kst] Plotting time values

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Sun Sep 23 20:50:04 UTC 2012

Hi Syam,

that's freaking good news! Adding support to read ASCII time as described on bugs.kde.org is not a trivial task (because the ASCII data source has become quite complex) but certainly doable with some Qt/C++ knowledge, and it's a very highly desired feature. You'd gain hero status right away :-) And since we're very interested in the feature, of course we'll support you as best we can.
The steps involved would be:
- looking at the history of the request Barth mentioned on bugs.kde.org (once it's up again, seems to be down right now...)
- discussing the details with us here on the list to make sure we're going in the right direction and have a common understanding
- adding the options in the GUI + loading/saving them to the .kst file
- implementing the parsing of ASCII times and conversion to "double" time, which should be easy with QDateTime methods
- testing, first locally on your PC and then you can provide patches which we'll review and integrate :-)

By the way, I can't open the plot you've attached (which easyplot is it, by the way? There seems to be many programs with that name. I guess you mean http://www.amion.com/ep/epfeatures.html, which looks quite similar to Kst, but I'm not sure and I haven't tried it). Do you have a png, jpg or pdf version?

Let us know if you want to give it a chance, it would be perfect timing since Barth is currently working on improving time-based support in the range dialogs.

Nicolas

P.S.: if you're using easyplot, it would be interesting to have your feeling how kst compares to it on real-case scenarios. Performance, usability, etc...