[Kst] branches/work/kst/portto4/kst/src/plugins/filters/cumulativesum

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Sun Sep 16 12:27:12 UTC 2012

Hi,

interesting discussion. Here is what I think we should do regarding this plugin/filter stuff (points 1) and 2) below).
> But.... it is a filter in the kst sense. That is, it takes in a
> vector, and outputs a vector which could sensibly be plotted against
> the same X vector as the original vector. Calling it a filter makes
> it very easy to plot the integral of a vector from the rmb menu in a
> plot.
>
> So... should we change the name from 'filter' to something else? If
> so what? The category is a good and useful one.
1) add a context menu category "Quick plugin" and a corresponding plugin type to list the plugins corresponding to your definition below, but which are not filters. An alternative would be to rename the "filter" category itself and put there filters + other plugins which fit the description. I agree the RMB approach is nice, that's why I added the shift filter there in the past.

> I have 'fixed' it so it simply doesn't create a curve at all. But
> your suggestion is probably better.
2) As far as I can remember, in kst 1.x the placement dialog was always shown when creating a plugin, and I liked it much better. If you don't want a curve, you can always select "Do not place in any plot", but most of the time you will want to create a curve and doing it directly from there is much more convenient. In the end, the only difference between selecting the plugin from the RMB and from the menu should be that in the first case the input vector is preselected (and locked).

To finish with plugin-related issues, beyond those 2 points there's also:
- the duplication of the differentiation plugin: I'll let you take care of it. Beware, there are some differences in the code but I think the right one is the one in the right place.
- the fact that plugins always get the auto name, even though the dialog allows naming them.

Thanks for the fix regarding plugins which were not saved correctly, it seems to work fine now.