[Kst] 2.0.6 download figures and further

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Mon Sep 3 21:57:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

according to http://sourceforge.net/projects/kst/files/ (hover over the graph icon next to each version), while 2.0.4 reached more than 4000 downloads, 2.0.6 still hasn't reached 1000, even though it is a much better version. I think this is mostly due to the fact that we announced it during the summer break, and possibly also only on the mailing list. I think we should:
- announce it on qt-apps.org (not even listed), kde-apps.org (still at 2.0.4)
- announce it on sf.net, I don't remember where exactly but there is a way to do that
- try to blog about it. Anybody with a blog (possibly aggregated on planetkde.org) and willing to do that?
- finally do those screencasts and post them on the website as well as on youtube (I am still planning to do that one)
- other ideas welcome

I've been using Kst the last days and it's actually quite good. My major gripes which I hope will be fixed for the next version are:
- auto-layout getting in the way (hopefully fixed with Barth's recent commit)
- purge purging too much!
Now my hopes (clearly, not everything will be ready for 2.0.7 but I think it's good to discuss the next areas to focus on!):
- time support in general, and in the ASCII source in particular
- scripting on all platforms and encompassing all objects
- a tabular vector view
- an option to *not* cache the file to RAM (and use a FILE pointer instead, as in the past) in the ASCII data source. I have 1 Gb files I can't analyze because RAM usage is limited under Windows, but one vector takes up "only" 72 MB, the rest is wasted in the ASCII source
- find-as-you-type search filter in the data manager and some other dialogs
- finally agree on the "slave x vector" debate and hopefully get rid of them
- data sinks and optionally embeddable vectors
- a drag-and-drop, tree-view based plot manager

And a recurring idea to conclude: I think part of those would be nice tasks for new coders or IT students => if you are one or know people who would be interested, get in touch with us!