[Kst] Time index lookup

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 24 15:00:32 UTC 2012

For BLASTpol, I need to implement the ability to index samples by time,
rather than by frame number.  So I'm going to implement it.  Here is my
initial plan:

In the field range widget, there is a combo box that currently only
includes 'frame'.
Kst will add to the combo box any vector fields provided by the data source
which happen to be called "time", "Time", or "TIME".  kst will assume that
these fields will be monotonically increasing (though it will be able to
look for and ignore short telemetry glitches).
The user can then do a lookup with these fields instead of frames.  Kst
will do a binary search to find the right frames, and then read them in.

In the first instance, you will enter the times as numbers in whatever
format the fields store them.

Eventually, you will be able to tell kst (how?) what to interpret the
fields as, and then use text type time entry (eg, yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss).
 But not in the first instance.

--
C. Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto