[Kst] Re: Creating Datasource Reader

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Fri Mar 18 20:30:17 CET 2011

>> All in all, I'd tend towards kst2 unless you absolutely need scripting
>> and need it fast (it will be brought back at some point in time, though
>> not necessarily compatible with kst 1.x scripting).
> In that case, I'd definitely try it out. But how do I implement custom
> datasource readers for 2.x?
> If I remember right, for Kst 1.x, this was done as ordinary KDE3
> plugins. Is there a separate handbook for
> custom readers for Kst 2.x?

Hi Syam,

sorry, but we have no documentation about custom plugins.
Our code is in src/datasources. Have a look at ascii or netcdf.

> In short, my file will *not* be a *.kst file. Instead it'll be some
> other format (that contains an ASCII header followed by ASCII or binary
> data) which when opened by Kst should bring up the plot as written
> inside it's header.
> I wanted to know if a custom reader would make this work.

Yes, it's possible. You could start patching the ascii datasource plugin,
and see if it fits your needs (with auto-opening). Only after that I would
start with a custom plugin.

Peter