[Kst] Re: Equations and slave vectors...

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 27 00:50:23 CET 2011

Interesting question.

Here is my reasoning, which might even lead to a conclusion:
   -Equations have an 'x' vector to reduce the complexity of equations.  So
you can type sin(x)/x rather than sin([-10..10 (X1)])/[-10..10 (X1)].
   -This also lets the user easily change what is being used as the x vector
in a plot - just change it in the combo.
   -once an 'x' vector is defined and used in a plot, the user will expect
that if the 'x' vector is changed in the equation it will also be changed in
the plot, since it is called the 'x' vector.
   -all other data objects that are typically plotted have an output 'x'
vector defined (eg, spectra, histograms...)
 I have found that this behavior is pretty convenient given my use patterns.

BUT:
  -There are lots of times that you don't want to plot an equation directly
- eg, it is part of a parametric equation.
  -The ability to define variables is very nice, but you may want more than
one, and they may not be the 'x' vector.

SO:  I'm thinking about a few changes:
  -have the ability to not create a curve - perhaps tied to 'do not place in
any plot', or via a checkbox to disable the entire curve/placement widgets.
  -add the ability to add more variables than just 'x'.  They would behave
like 'x' does now (eg, would be passed through as an output vector), except
would not play a role in the curve.  Then you could have an equation like
sin(a)*b + cos(a)*c instead of the long monstrosities I often end up with
now.
  -add the ability to not define an 'x' vector at all (in which case the
curve/placement widgets would be disabled).

What do you think?

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Nicolas Brisset <nicolas.brisset at free.fr>wrote:

> Barth,
>
> I asked a couple of days ago if we could change the fact that equations
> generate 2 slave vectors. I think you're in the best position to answer that
> question...
>
> I have been thinking a bit about the video tutorials, and that's one of the
> things I find very confusing. I was wondering if/when it could be changed.
>
> Nicolas

C. Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto
416-845-0946