[Kst] Re: branches/work/kst/portto4/kst/src/d2asc

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Sat Jan 15 18:46:22 CET 2011

I agree that it is useful, and that we should resurrect it.  I has been
broken for a very long time, as no one has looked at it.  I am not aware of
it ever working for kst2, but maybe it has.  However, it might be easy to
fix, once someone tries to fix it.  We haven't been using it since the
getdata team (ie, Don and Matt) has started shipping a dirfile2asc utility
which does what we need as well, but only for dirfiles.

I wrote 'export vectors to disk' on one of my 'Days off' on the Ice.  As far
as I can tell, it works fine.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Nicolas Brisset <nicolas.brisset at free.fr>wrote:

> I don't know why d2asc does not work and how much is needed to resurrect
> it, but I think it's a pretty nice utility. We definitely have to
> "resurrect" it.
> I suppose reading the data isn't so much the issue as it leverages the
> datasource plugins, but possibly spitting the vectors out when they don't
> all have the same length is more work. By the way, this should be the same
> issue for "export vectors to disk", which I think has been reactivated
> recently. How mature is it? I haven't tried it yet...
> > But d2asc doesn't work because of my patch, I couldn't image
> > how it broke it.
> >> d2asc currently doesn't work.  It shouldn't be built by default,
> >> and certainly shouldn't be installed
>
> Nicolas

C. Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto