[Kst] Re: How to integrate KST into a QtCreator design?

Herman Bruyninckx Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be
Mon Feb 21 15:49:43 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Brisset, Nicolas wrote:

> Hi Herman,
>
> nice to know you are using kst :-) I don't know the complete code base so
> well, so you'll probably get a better answer from Barth or Peter... or
> the people who started the port to Qt4 long ago (George Staikos'
> colleagues before their company was bought - maybe some are still
> listening?).
> I remember that some refactoring was done in the past to allow reuse of
> kst widgets (which at some point appeared in the QtDesigner palettes) or
> other classes, like plots/curves/vectors and so on.
>
> Now, I don't know exactly what it is that you are missing. Maybe it would
> be better to add functionality to kst to suit your needs, instead of
> taking it apart to reuse parts in your own code. Could you maybe describe
> your use-cases a bit so that we get an idea of what you are missing?

I definitely do _not_ want to taking KST apart, on the contrary: I am
wandering to what extent KST plotting windows can already be used as
"widgets" in QtCreator.

Frankly, I am more than a bit surprised to learn that integration with KST
is not high on the priority list of an official KDE project :-)

Our use case: to make a rather flexible GUI for lots of measurement systems
that we use in our research and education in automation and robotics. So,
each setup requires a slightly different interface, but typically consists
of some plotting windows, some sliders, "digital" parameter value monitors,
dials, radio buttons, numerical tables, etc.

> Nicolas

Herman

> Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
> Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
> Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
> Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
> Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
> It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.

   K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Eng., Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group
     <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 328056
   EURON Coordinator (European Robotics Research Network) <http://www.euron.org>
   Open Realtime Control Services <http://www.orocos.org>
   Associate Editor JOSER <http://www.joser.org>, IJRR <http://www.ijrr.org>