[Kst] Re: cmake

Matthew D Truch matt at truch.net
Sat Feb 19 03:03:46 CET 2011

>> A few more cmake buildsystem issues (on Linux)...
>>
>> Is there a way to disable the rpaths?  In Fedora they are generally
>> forbidden.

Thanks for that option.

>> libkstcore.so and libkstmath.so have invalid SONAMEs.
>
> Is it better now? it uses 2 as version number, or should we use the
> complete number 2.0.3?

Yes, they are now proper.  Thanks.

>> Furthermore, they call glibc's exit() which is odd for a library.
>
> Yes, we should remove it. It slipped in with low level C code.

No rush.

>> PS - cmake is so, so much nicer to package than the previous system.
>
> Great to hear you like it!

So much better.  I can't say that enough.  Thanks.

Even more comments/concerns:

Now it seems that kst2 is a symlink which points to kst2-2.0.3 (which
the version number is set to).  This seems odd to me.  Is this a new
thing?

All the kst plugins are currently installed in /usr/plugins
(PREFIX/plugins).  This is not compliant with the FHS.  I think the
proper location would be anywhere under /usr/lib, and a private
directory for kst is probably the best practice.  I think it would be
best, therefore, to put all plugins in /usr/lib/kst/
(PREFIX/KST_LIB_DIR/kst).  If that isn't possible, then please make a
cmake option to allow one to set the plugins path.

The main desktop files for kst are not-compliant.  I'm not sure if this
is some specific Fedora thing, or in general;  I'll look into it
further, but if anyone has any specific feelings on the subject I wanted
to bring this forward now.

I think the Build Summary should explicitly list the kst_install_libdir
if it has been set (just like it lists the prefix as the "installation
path").

And if that wasn't enough, some questions:

What specifically does the "kst_release" option do?

What specifically does the "kst_test" option do?  Presumably it builds
the test-suite (does it exist?).  Does it also run the test suite?

--
"Party on Wayne; Party on Garth. -- Wayne's World"
matt at truch.net
http://matt.truch.net/