[Kst] Re: Bug in ASCII fixed-width

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sun Feb 6 10:09:31 CET 2011

On 06.02.2011 00:40, Nicolas Brisset wrote:
>> NOTE: the -F option opens a new datasource which may be of a completely different type, and so ignores any datasource configuration parameters that may have been stored in the kst file.
> Oops! I had not thought of that, but I believe it's an issue! In *all* the cases I used -F, the files had the same format. I'm pretty sure chances are much higher that you get the data correctly if you reuse the settings and only change the filename, than reading the file as if it were completely new. If we want to refine it a bit, we could possibly distinguish:
> - same file type (i.e. datasource plugin) =>  reuse settings stored in the .kst
> - different file type: read as if it were new
> Your current approach would have forced me to tune the default settings to that format so that the data can be read :-( I don't know how hard it would be to do and how convinced you are, but I'm very confident that it's much safer "my way"...

I also thought the reason to load a datasource with an .kst file is to use the configuration saved in the kst file.
Otherwise we have no way to pass the configuration by command line. And in general it is not possible to make the
default for datasources good enough that it could read all data.

Is there any good example for using the -F option Barth's way? Maybe I've missed it.

But even when wanna read the configuration from the kst file we have to think
about the matching rules. What when we wanna load multiple datasources?

Or should be introduce a completely different way of configuring the datasource
by command line?

The advantage of using a kst file is that we already have a UI for editing.

Peter