[Kst] Re: Bug in ASCII fixed-width

Nicolas Brisset nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Sat Feb 5 14:39:54 CET 2011

> Here some numbers:
> msvc : 0.51s -> 0.44s  15% faster
> mingw: 0.71s -> 0.58s  22% faster
Peter, I really think this is going too far. When you load even very large ASCII files now, the speed is very good. Adding optimizations that introduce high risk of offsets / wrong data is not something I'd like to do. Even if the first few rows look OK, who tells you there won't be one character more at some point in the file?

I'd definitely leave it as is now, and rather look at optimizing time-based access to data and reading time formats in HH:MM:SS text strings for the next version. I think it's time better spent.