[Kst] Bugzilla Versions

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Fri Sep 10 08:16:35 CEST 2010

> >   cuteplot
> Lame.  In a way, it's false advertising: there's nothing actually cute
> about the program itself.  Spelling it "quteplot" or "qtplot" without
> changing the pronunciation would be better.
The problem there is that there already is qtiplot, which even plays on
the same grounds. I think it would create way too much confusion.

> >   xy, or kxy or qxy
> The two-letter name is the best alternative to "kst" in the list.
> It's easy and intuitive to remember, even if the program were to have
> non-cartesian plots.
But it does not have "plot" in the name and implicitly "limiting" it
from the start to x-y plots sounds like a rather poor idea to me...

> I've never been a fan of tacking random k's or g's or q's or
> what-have-yous onto program names to indicate which libraries
> they're built upon.  The only people who really care about the
> underlying framework are developers, distrubtors, and holy warriors.
Right :-) In KDE 4.x a lot of apps have departed from that habit
already.

All in all, if we can't come up with a really cool name then we should
probably just stick to kst, and find a nice tag line and do an extensive
revamp of the web page (with "plot" somewhere in the name) plus
promotion to attract new people. In the end, we can still hope that the
quality of the application and the communication around it matters more
than the name...

Nicolas

Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.