[Kst] [Kde-science] kst interested in the KDE science effort

nicolas.brisset at free.fr nicolas.brisset at free.fr
Wed Sep 8 00:59:55 CEST 2010

> Yep, I looked into it briefly a couple of years ago while looking for
> KDE plotting apps but mostly discounted it because it wasn't obviously
> active (still KDE3 and no obvious news). Also I had the impression it was
> more for signal processing than generic data plotting, though it looks like I
> was wrong.
Yes, definitely not dead, and not limited to signal processing. But the port to Qt4 was a *big* rewrite (initiated by the Qt gurus from Staikos Computing Services and taking into account the lessons learned with kst 1.x)...

> Which is what I ended up using and it's nice although a little
> unstable and in need of more contributors, I think. If Kst is similar then it could be
> very interesting to me.
I don't know what you do, but kst really shines performance-wise and has a very user-friendly UI. Plus, a friendly developer community ;-)
Be sure to try it and let us know what you think of it. Oh, and please don't expect 2.0.0 to be 100% finished. It is very much like the KDE 4.0 story...
But we actively use bugzilla and it is definitely usable for real work.

> Cool - I see there's a 2.0.1 beta, would that be the one?
Not yet the one for KDE integration. See roadmap on the community wiki in a few days when it has converged.

> How about we (someone on this list, someone from KDE promo or me) do
> an interview with you/other team members about Kst 2 for KDE Dot News?
> I'm one of the editors there so I can say that's something we'd be interested in
> running - one of the things we'd like to do is get some articles out on KDE
> Science apps (Qt with plans for KDE integration is fine).
Sure, I think that's a good idea, but probably not too soon. The 2.x series first has to reach a better state. Be sure to contact the original author Barth Netterfield who is still quite active and giving directions. There have been interviews in the past, but I can't seem to find the links so easily, so probably worth an update.

> Luca Beltrame recently did an interview with the lead developer of
> RKWard (R frontend) which will be published soon and ages ago I did and
> interview with the LabPlot and SciDAVis developers [1].
Yes, I remember reading that.

> Actually you might want to talk to them too - I know calls from users
> for teams to work together don't always make sense ;-) but they're working
> together on some backend stuff with the ultimate aim to have SciDAVis
> as the Qt frontend and LabPlot as the KDE one, plus other variations in UI and
> capabilities of course.
Why not, if there are interesting commonalities. But I'm only a very involved user and developer with "junior job" capabilities, not really the one who decides in which direction development goes...