[Kst] Problem with ASCII containing Date/Time

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Thu Jul 1 18:01:05 CEST 2010

Hi,

I personally don't use the "interpret as time" feature (plot dialog,
X-axis properties) but my understanding is that currently kst will
always read numbers from the file, but can as an option interpret them
as time data and display them nicely formatted in the axis labels if you
tell it what format/conversion to use.

In other words, if your first column contained the number of ms since
Jan. 1st 1970 (or whatever the Unix time reference is) it would probably
be possible to have nice time-based curves. But for now reading a number
from YYYY/MM/DD will stop  at the / and hence always give 2010.

I think it would be a nice feature to be able to read in
string-formatted times and use them for plots. We could add options for
that in the UI (like one or two columns to use for date and time), and
when reading use Qt classes to convert that to a numeric format that we
can then convert back to date upon display, as currently possible. I'd
suggest creating a wishlist for that in bugzilla...

As I'm not familiar with the feature, maybe someone else can add to or
correct my statements.

In the meantime I fear the only option for you is to find a way (awk,
ruby, python, ...) to convert the first columns to numbers which mean
something that kst can then interpret.

Nicolas