[Kst] Library name change...

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 6 15:26:31 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 06 October 2009 03:47:14 Brisset, Nicolas wrote:
> I thought in such a case one would use names like libkstmath.so.2
> instead of libkst2math.so (under Unix, no idea how that works under
> Windows though).

I agree.  The problem is, under some distributions (eg, slackware, or suse),
if /usr/lib/libkstmath.so.1 is installed at build time, it is picked up by the
linker.  I can't figure out how to tell the linker to only look in the build
directory for some libraries, and not for others.  Interestingly enough, if
the linker links to 2.0.0, then even if the 1.x libraries are later installed,
everything works fine.

This is has actually been a long time problem.  If you have kst installed on
your system, and do a build, the linker links to the libraries in /usr/lib,
rather than the ones in the build directory...  If we were maintaining binary
compatibility, this wouldn't be a problem for users upgrading - the install
stage would just overwrite the old libraries and no-one would be the wiser.
But it is a pain if you are developing kst on the same machine you are using
it, or if we break binary compatibility, which we do from time to time.

I have seen distributions do this name change hack to get around these sorts
of troubles before, so I think there may not be a clean solution.

> Sticking to the standards seems preferable to me, as
> long as it also works under Windows. By the way, kst 2.0.0 beta3
> compiles fines out of the box under Windows with Qt Creator (not really
> tested yet, but it's nice to have it compile :-))

My son is hoping to prepare a windows package to go along with the release....
which will be... soon.