[Kst] 5 minutes real-world usage of kst2

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Wed Nov 11 10:54:29 CET 2009

Hi Barth, thanks for the quick reply! Here are my short comments to your
answers. For the stuff requiring more thought/time, I'll do it later.

> This is the same icon as 1.x.  I didn't like it when I made it, and I
> still don't.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I'm stumped.
OK. I think something with a chain like the usual "lock aspect ratio" in
inkscape or equivalent tools would be clearer. Maybe I can submit
something...

> > -          I desperately miss the "zoom x only" action
> You mean as a separate mode?  <ctrl> mouse zooms X only.  <shift>
mouse
> zooms
> Y only.  Does this work for you?  Is this what you meant?
Yes, that's what I was looking for. Keyboard shortcuts are good for
power-users but not always discoverable (though having them displayed in
the menus sure helps). In that case however, I wasn't aware of that as
the mouse (+modifier keys) shortcuts are not shown anywhere. I'd say we
can leave it as is, or (preferably) add a drop-down button as kst 1.x
had which I think is more discoverable. In any case a kst "cheat sheet"
would be a nice thing to do...

> > -          Undo/redo is a nice addition but needs more work
> OK.  Can you give me some examples?  I havn't looked at it much.
Well, first big thing: load an existing .kst, add a plot with the data
wizard and Undo => crash!
Another point I find confusing is that not everything can be undone via
Ctrl+z: for example zoom actions (you have to use 'R', it's there but
again a bit hidden for newcomers), or some tools (change data tool for
instance).
But I must also admit I haven't played with it too much, and maybe it's
only layout oriented by design?

> --png and --print are now in svn.  Let me know if there are others.
Well, thanks. That was a nice addition, even though right now I'm stuck
because it will only create plots in portrait mode :-(

> > -          I can't save print settings between sessions, it is
*very*
> > frustrating (maybe linked to local problem due to compiling Qt
without
> > appropriate cups headers, I have to check that)
> I'll also look into this.
Yes, would be nice. As mentioned above, that problem right now defeats
the purpose of printing from the command line.

> Progress has been slow, but not completely stopped :-)  We just got
word
> of renewed funding, so I need to look for someone.
Good news :-)