[Kst] kst2 install

Matthew D Truch matt at truch.net
Thu May 28 16:52:33 CEST 2009

> Setting the INSTDIR to /usr/lib/kst would install to
> /usr/lib/kst/bin
> /usr/lib/kst/lib
> /usr/lib/kst/plugins
>
> Everything would be contained within the directory, the only questions
> is where to put the 3 executables.  We can also extend the pluginPaths
> to include extra directories if needed as all files in the directory
> will be validated.

Well, /usr/lib/kst/bin seems like a poor choice for the executables,
especially since it wouldn't be in people's $PATH.  If I had complete
choice over the locations (perhaps Don wants to chime in here too?),
I would want the binaries in: $prefix/bin/
The libraries in: $prefix/$libdir/
And the plugins in: $prefix/$libdir/kst/
Where $prefix and $libdir are settable at compile time.

Furthermore, it'd be best if when it's actually doing "make install" it
prepended $DESTDIR to all destinations (as for packaging, often packages
are installed into a temporary tree so only the installed file can be
packaged up, which are then put in the correct (ie $DESTDIR=/) location
when the packaging system installs them on an end-user machine).

--
"All your base are belong to us!"
matt at truch.net
http://matt.truch.net/