[Kst] branches/work/kst/kst1kde4/kst/src/libkst

Brisset, Nicolas Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Thu Dec 3 17:03:05 CET 2009

> 4.0 had serious marketing issues to go along with the length of the
> process.
> But in my mind, at the end of the day, while it was painful, the level
of
> redesign will be of great long term value to the project;  I think
that
> the same thing may apply here *if the changes we make are actually of
> value*.
>
> So: My feeling is, major changes happen now, or never.
>
> Can't decide which.
The old cruft has to go, no doubt. Kst2 is a pretty major redesign, we
have to pull it through otherwise a lot of the benefit may be lost.

After thinking a while about it, I realized something interesting: one
of the major problems I have now is that some people start using kst2 on
Windows and like it. For simple tasks it already works well enough. But
as soon as it gets a bit more serious, you hit the (current) limits and
the problem is that you can't really go back to 1.x if you want to go
further because you would lose the work that you've started to do in
kst2.
The issue here is *file format incompatibilities*. If we could work
around that, i.e. provide a two-way translation whereby most of the
important things like data loading, curves, objects, plugins etc are
preserved, it would make things much easier. I think that layout may be
partially lost: just do a "cleanup layout" and it should be acceptable
in most cases.

I know, it's only adding to the pile of work. But maybe an interesting
consideration nonetheless. Especially as the kst 1.x -> 2.x import will
certainly have to be done someday...
On a related note: how is it looking with your subcontracting part of
kst2 development?

Nicolas

Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.