[Kst] Kst 2.0.0. Beta 1 Release

D. V. Wiebe dvw at ketiltrout.net
Fri Dec 12 00:56:23 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:39:02PM -0500, Matthew D Truch wrote:
> > The first Beta version of Kst 2.0.0 has just been uploaded and should be
> > available on mirrors shortly.  Anyone interested in trying out the new
> > version should feel free.  All major features of Kst should be in full
> > working order.
> >
> > This version of Kst will now build and run on Mac, Windows and Linux,
> > build details are included.
>
> I'm a complete and utter n00b with this qmake thingy.  How do I tell it
> that cfitisio's header is at cfitsio/fitsio.h instead of fitsio.h, since
> it's erroring out:
>
> compiling ../../../../src/datasources/fitsimage/fitsimage.cpp
> In file included from
> ../../../../src/datasources/fitsimage/fitsimage.cpp:12:
> ../../../../src/datasources/fitsimage/fitsimage.h:18:20: error:
> fitsio.h: No such file or directory
>
> Before I could pass ./configure something like
> --with-extra-includes=/usr/include/cfitsio but now I'm lost.

I had a similar problem with getdata, since mine is not in a standard
place.  After some guesswork, I got around it by editing
src/datasources/dirfile/dirfile.pro and adding the necessary include path
to INCLUDEPATH and library path to LIBS.  There's a gotcha here:
INCLUDEPATH wants just the path, not -I<path>, but LIBS wants -L<path>
not just the path.  Weird.

I have no idea if this is a kosher way to do it...  It would be nice if
I could just specify GETDATA_PREFIX somewhere instead (better yet, if
qmake could figure it out itself via pkg-config).

To the kst developers: it may be understandable to qmake gurus what
"Define" means in config.pri but I hadn't the foggiest.  I guessed
that it meant "Set the following variable to 1" which seemed to work.
I'd advise making the comments more explicit.

Furthermore, it would be convenient if I could pass qmake arguments via
build-kst.  ie. replace the current qmake line in build-kst with:

  qmake -r $SCRIPTDIR/kst.pro "$@"

Finally, once I've compiled kst, how do I install it?  As a subquestion,
how do I specify where to install it (the prefix)?  And does the
installation have a facility similar to automake's DESTDIR?

But it seems to be compiling...
-dvw
Don Wiebe                                   dwiebe at physics.utoronto.ca
Dept. of Physics/Univ. of Toronto
60 St. George St.                           Tele: +1-416-946-0946
Toronto ON                                  Fax:  +1-416-946-5636
Canada   M5S 1A7                            http://ketiltrout.net/