[Kst] GSL + kst license clash

Matthew D Truch matt at truch.net
Thu Nov 1 16:14:44 CET 2007

> GSLv3 is incompatible? With what?

Not GSL (GNU Scientific Library) version 3 (GSL is only at version
1.10), but the GSL is not licensed under the GPL (GNU General Public
License) version 3.  Barth, you're mixing your TLAs here.

> GSL in kst is used by the plugins, which are pretty important, but
> not 'formally' required.
>
> Can we
> 	-change the plugins to gplv3?
> 	-'require' the pre v3 versions of GSL.  If someone chooses to compile w/
> v3... shrug?
> 	-import a pre v3 version of GSL?
>
> I would be interested if someone could point me to the issue.

Standard Disclaimer: IANAL - You should seek an attorney blah blah blah.
The main thing is that GPLv3 is not compatable with GPLv2 code, so if
current GSL (with GPLv3) is linked with kst, kst needs to be compatable
with GPLv3 as well.  kst itself (as far as I can tell by scanning a few
of the source files) is licensed as GPLv2+ meaning "GPL version 2 or, at
your option, any later version".  It would be easy, then, to make kst
GPLv3+ (and therefore fine to link with current GSL), however I don't
know if that is compatable with the licenses of other libraries and code
used in kst (especially KDE and QT)?

(I had been following along with Fedora's attempt at auditing licenses
in packages, including the switch of many (all?) official GNU projects
to GPLv3 from GPLv2).

--
"One in every seven days is a Thursday."
matt at truch.net
http://matt.truch.net/